The major research objectives of the NWRC can be summarized as follows:
- Study, outline and propose long-term policies for managing water resources in Egypt.
- Solve the technical and applied problems associated with general policies for irrigation, drainage and water resources.
- Carry out investigations and research work connected with the extension of agricultural lands.
- Find the means for utilizing the water resources of the country in the most efficient and cost-effective way.
- Propose measures for environmentally sound development of the irrigation and drainage systems.